St. Saviour Monastery of Grijó
Location 41.062107 | -8.558682
Useful Information
Price

Free Visit - Opens to worship

Contacts
+ 351 227 458 104/+ 351 226 197 080
geral@culturanorte.pt

According to the tradition, the primitive St. Saviour Monastery of Grijó was founded in 922 in the place of Muraceses by the clerics, Guterre and Ausindo Soares, adopting the rule of St. Augustine in 938. In the year 1112 was transferred to the location where it is currently on, but the new church would only be consecrated in 1235 by the Porto’s Bishop, Pedro Salvador.

In 1572 was hired the architect Francisco Velasquez master builder of the Cathedral of Miranda do Douro, to design the new project. Two years later, on June 28, 1574 was set the first stone dorm. Up to 1600 were completed two wings of the cloister, the dining room and the chapter House. However the construction of the church, dragged on for about 30 years and the main chapel would only be closed in 1629. In 1770 the Convent was extinct giving his properties to the Mafra Convent.


    Price

    Free Visit - Opens to worship